The Migration Skills Assessment (MSA) is for applicants who need a skills assessment as part of their skilled migration visa application to the Department of Home Affairs.
The MSA outcome recognises if you have the skills and experience needed at the required level to work in Australia in your nominated occupation.
You can only use a successful MSA outcome for your visa application to Home Affairs for migration purposes. We do not issue anything further.
You cannot use an MSA outcome for employment, licensing or qualification-recognition purposes.
To apply for MSA, you must:
- have a qualification directly related to your nominated occupation
- have the required amount of directly relevant employment in your occupation
- read the MSA Applicant Guidelines for employment requirements
- have your occupation listed on a skilled occupation list (with TRA listed as the relevant assessing authority).
You do not need to apply for the MSA if you are applying for:
Before you apply you need to check:
- with the Department of Home Affairs if you need a skills assessment for your visa
- that we are the right assessing authority for your occupation.
Before you apply, you must first read the MSA Applicant Guidelines.
The fees for this program can be found in Section 1.5 of the MSA Applicant Guidelines.
Fees may change. TRA will give reasonable notice of any proposed fee increases. Notices will be on the TRA website and in the relevant program guidelines.
How to pay:
- Please refer to the TRA Fees, Payment and Refund Policy
- Payments are online by Visa or MasterCard through the Online Portal
- All fees are payable in Australian dollars ($AUD)
- We will email you a receipt. It is important to keep the email receipt as proof of payment.
Refunds are not given if you:
- do not meet program eligibility requirements
- choose to withdraw your application after assessment has started
- do not provide the application documents in the specified timeframes.
The only time we will refund a payment is in the TRA Fees, Payment and Refund Policy.
- Scan your original documents in full colour at high resolution (at least 150dpi) as a .pdf file
- If you have multiple pages (for example pay evidence) you must combine them into one .pdf file as our portal only accepts one document per upload field.
- We do not accept:
- black and white copies
- certified copies or statutory declarations
- any document file besides .pdf
- Translated documents need to show the original unique translator stamp and signature
- Make sure your documents are not locked or password protected.
Register through our online portal
You can apply for MPA through the Online Portal.
You will need to register and create a password.
Once you register, your username displays at the top of the screen. Your username is also emailed to you. Make sure you keep a record of your username and password, as you will need it to login.
Complete your application
You will need your:
- previous TRA number, passport details, personal details, occupation, visa type
- agent/representative details (if applicable)
- qualification details or apprenticeship
- employment details for each employment period you are claiming.
- Copy of your successful outcome from a TRA Skills Assessment
To submit your application, you need to:
- upload all the required documents
- pay the fee.
You cannot change or view your application once you have submitted it.
TRA does not accept applications sent by email.
We will email you the outcome of your MSA application.
We aim to finalise applications within 120 days from the date you submit them online. This may vary if we have a high volume of applications or if your application is complex.
If your assessment is successful:
- you can present your outcome letter to Home Affairs as part of your visa application.
If your application is unsuccessful:
- the outcome letter will explain the reasons for the outcome and give you the options for review.