What is the Job Ready Program?
The Job Ready Program (JRP) is for international student graduates who hold a trade qualification issued by a registered training organisation based on studies in Australia.
It is a four-step employment-based skills assessment program that provides applicants with the opportunity to demonstrate their skills and job readiness in an Australian workplace, relevant to their nominated occupation before they apply for migration in Australia
The JRP provides employers with an opportunity to engage enthusiastic employees with Australian trade qualifications. Participants are employed under normal employment arrangements and the employer retains the right to manage the employment.
What skills do the JRP participants have?
- an Australian trade level qualification completed in Australia,
- some work experience in a relevant occupation, and
- a suitable visa from Department of Home Affairs which allows them to stay and work in Australia.
What does the participant need to do?
The program requires the participant to:
- demonstrate their trade skills in an Australian workplace
- undertake at least 1725 hours of paid employment over a minimum of 12 calendar months
- work under the supervision of a suitably qualified person who has industry knowledge and experience in their occupation.
During employment participants must:
- keep an online journal of the tasks they undertake in their workplace
- undertake in their workplace an independent workplace assessment towards when they have been working for a minimum of 6 months to determine whether they are successfully operating at the required skill level for their occupation.
What is the Employer’s role?
Employers need to be able to:
- provide trade level work under standard employment arrangements for the time they employ the participant
- nominate someone skilled in the occupation to supervise the participant
- sign-off the participant’s online journal entries describing their work tasks and duties every three months
- allow an assessor from a TRA approved training organisation to carry out a workplace assessment in the workplace when the participant has been working for a minimum of 6 months.
What assistance does TRA offer?
A TRA Liaison Officer will:
- Contact the employer to make sure the workplace is suitable to provide opportunities to demonstrate skills in a range of tasks for their occupation
- provide support to both the employer and the participant
How do employers find someone to employ as part of the Job Ready Program?
Participants may approach employers seeking employment, or you could approach a registered training organisation that trains international students to find a participant.
Job Ready Program Employer Fact Sheet:
Contact TRA for further information on the Job Ready Program:
Phone: 1 300 360 992 Monday to Friday: 9:00am - 12:00pm & 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Email: jrpenquiries [at] education.gov.au