The MPA program is for applicants with a successful Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) skills assessment outcome who want to apply to the Department of Home Affairs for a points-tested, independent skilled migration visa.
MPA is used to tell the Department of Home Affairs about the comparability of your qualifications and/or employment experience against Australian standards. The information on a MPA letter can assist with assessing your points tested visa application.
We assess the standards of your qualifications and employment against:
- AQF qualifications relevant to the occupation from an Australian industry endorsed training package
- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).
We do not provide specific information on migration or visa requirements and we do not issue points. You can ask about migration points test enquiries at the Department of Home Affairs.
To be eligible to apply for MPA, you must have a successful skills assessment outcome from TRA in your nominated occupation.
Check with Home Affairs
Before you apply, you need to check with the Department of Home Affairs that you need Points Advice.
Read Our Guidelines
Before you apply, you must first read the MPA Applicant Guidelines.
The fees for this program can be found in Section 1.5 of the MPA applicant guidelines.
Fees may change. TRA will give reasonable notice of any proposed fee increases. Notices will be on the TRA website and in the relevant program guidelines.
How to pay:
- Please refer to the TRA Fees, Payment and Refund Policy
- Payments are online by Visa or MasterCard through the Online Portal
- All fees are payable in Australian dollars ($AUD)
- We will email you a receipt. It is important to keep the email receipt as proof of payment.
Refunds are not given if you:
- do not meet program eligibility requirements
- choose to withdraw your application after assessment has started
- do not provide the application documents in the specified timeframes.
The only time we will refund a payment is in the TRA Fees, Payment and Refund Policy.
Prepare and scan your documents according to our MPA document requirements.
- If you have multiple pages (for example pay evidence) you must combine them into one .pdf file as our portal only accepts one document per upload field.
- We do not accept:
- black and white copies
- certified copies or statutory declarations
- any document file besides .pdf
- Make sure your documents are not locked or password protected.
Register through our online portal
You can apply for MPA through the Online Portal.
You will need to register and create a password.
Once you register, your username displays at the top of the screen. Your username is also emailed to you. Make sure you keep a record of your username and password, as you will need it to login.
Complete your application
You will need your:
- previous TRA number, passport details, personal details, occupation, visa type
- agent/representative details (if applicable)
- qualification details or apprenticeship
- employment details for each employment period you are claiming.
To submit your application, you need to:
- upload all the required documents
- pay the fee.
You cannot change or view your application once you have submitted it.
TRA does not accept applications sent by email.
We will email you the outcome of your MPA application.
This will show your comparable qualifications and relevant employment experience. You can use this for the Department of Home Affairs when calculating points for your visa.
We aim to finalise applications within 120 days from the date you submit them online. This may vary if we have a high volume of applications or if your application is complex.