Go to top of page

Pathfinder summary

I need a skills assessment to apply to the Department of Home Affairs for a skilled visa (other than a subclass 485 or Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa).

The skills assessment you need to apply for will depend on your country of passport and occupation. 

  • If you are seeking an assessment in an occupation listed in the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP) Table and you hold a passport from a country or Special Administrative Region (SAR) listed against that occupation, you must apply to have your skills assessed under the OSAP. 
  • If you are seeking an assessment in one of the following licensed occupations:
    • Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic,
    • Electrician (General),
    • Electrician (Special Class) and
    • Plumber (General),
    • you must apply to have your skills assessed under the OSAP, regardless of your country of passport.
  • If your occupation is listed in the OSAP Table but you do not hold a passport from a country or SAR mentioned in the table and you are not applying in a licensed trade specified above, you can:
    • apply for the Migration Skills Assessment (MSA) program
    • apply for the OSAP if you want to have your skills assessed through a TRA-approved RTO. You must be able to travel to Australia or a nominated country for an OSAP skills assessment.
  • If your occupation is not listed in the OSAP Table you should apply for the MSA program.

Note: the MSA Program is for migration purposes only. A successful MSA outcome does not result in the awarding of an Australian qualification and cannot be used for employment, licensing or qualification recognition purposes.

If you do not meet the criteria of the MSA Program or the OSAP, which generally require at least three years post-qualification experience, and you hold an Australian Qualifications Framework qualification issued as a result of study in Australia, you may be eligible to participate in the Job Ready Program.

Please read the applicant or participant guidelines for the relevant program before lodging an application.