Go to top of page

Trades Recognition Service (TRS) Frequently Asked Questions

How much will a TRS assessment cost?

Information on the fees for the TRS is available on the Fees page for the TRS and in the TRS Applicant Guidelines

How can I find an RTO to conduct my TRS skills assessment?

Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) has approved a number of RTOs to conduct TRS skills assessments around Australia.  Please see the RTO Finder to identify the RTOs available and obtain their contact details.

How long will it take to process my skills assessment?

The RTO you select to conduct your skills assessment will advise you how long the process will take. Typically, an assessment may be completed within 13 weeks from the date you submit the required documentary evidence to the RTO.

Further information on the process for the TRS is available in the applicant guidelines available on the TRA Website

How do I obtain an occupational licence in Australia?

Australia has strict safety standards and licensing requirements for licensed occupations. While TRA is responsible for assessing the skills of migrants to ensure they have the skills required to operate in their occupation in Australia, occupational licensing is the responsibility of the licensing authority in the relevant state or territory. Often the requirements for licensing include a period of employment experience, and obtaining Australian-specific knowledge of the relevant occupation within the Australian environment.

If you receive a successful skills assessment for a licensed occupation from a TRA-approved RTO you will be issued an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). The OTSR recognises your technical skills, but also acknowledges that you have yet to apply your skills in the Australian environment.

An OTSR allows you to apply for a provisional licence from an Australian state or territory licensing regulator upon arrival in Australia. This is subject to meeting all other non-skill requirements. An OTSR enables you to work under supervision while you address any Australian-specific knowledge and gaps in your employment experience. 

Please visit the Licensing page for further information.

My occupation is not on the TRS occupation list. How can I have my skills assessed?

If your occupation is not listed you may wish to apply for the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP). The OSAP is for applicants from nominated countries and occupations who are applying for a permanent skilled migration visa. It is also available for applicants who would like a skills assessment in an OSAP nominated occupation to access occupational licensing and/or for employability. If you choose this option, you must be able to travel to Australia or an OSAP nominated country for a skills assessment. The list of OSAP nominated occupations is available on the OSAP program page.

If your occupation is not on the list for OSAP, you may wish to approach an RTO to discuss their training and assessment options. RTOs will discuss the availability and cost of gaining recognition in your trade. RTOs will also be able to discuss any skills gaps you may have and how they can be addressed by further training and/or experience.  RTOs can be located via www.myskills.gov.au.